As a private, not-for-profit, charitable animal welfare organization, we rely on the community to help us fulfill our mission of finding a loving home for all the dogs and cats in our care and promoting responsible pet ownership and spay/neuter programs. From in-shelter tasks to event and outreach support, volunteers are needed in every part of the work we do. Our volunteers help make the world a more humane place for animals.
Already a Volunteer?
How to Become a Volunteer
If this is your first time visiting, welcome and thank you for your interest in becoming a volunteer! You are one step closer to joining our team of heroes and helping countless tails wag and many kitties purr.
In order to become a volunteer, each person must attend an Orientation Presentation and a Shelter Training. During these trainings you will learn more about our Volunteer Program and Policies. Once you have completed both, you will be able to sign up to the shift of your choice detailed in the tabs below.
Ready to join? Follow the steps below to begin your life-changing journey towards becoming a Humane Society of Greater Miami Volunteer.
Step 1: Attend a Volunteer Orientation.
Orientations take place on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of every month online via Zoom and last approximately 1 hour. Sign up for our next session by clicking here!
Please keep in mind:
- You must be at least 16 years of age to volunteer.
- Prospective volunteers ages 16-17 years old must come accompanied by one parent/guardian (for orientation session only).
- We provide community service hours for educational institutions only. We do not provide community service hours for court-mandated reasons.
Step 2: Complete Quiz and Application. Once you’ve completed our volunteer orientation, you will receive an orientation quiz along with our volunteer application link that will be sent via email to the email address you provided when you signed up for your orientation session. Once you receive the link, please fill out the application fully. Please allow up to a week for the Volunteer Coordinator to review your submission.
Step 3: Schedule your Shelter Training session. A schedule of possible training days and times will be available online via our Volunteer Portal. Prospective volunteers will be sent instructions on how to sign up once their applications have been approved.
Once you have completed the necessary training and schedule your upcoming shifts, you are ready to begin saving lives as an official Humane Society of Greater Miami Volunteer!
For questions about the program and requirements, please call 305-749-1843 or email [email protected].
Ready to become a volunteer?
Click here to see our next orientation dates!
Volunteer Opportunities Within and Outside the Shelter
Important Volunteer Rules
- ALL volunteers (current or new) will have to attend an online orientation AND an in-person shelter training before signing up to their first volunteer shift.
- All volunteer shifts must be scheduled in advance using the Volunteer Portal – no walk-ins permitted.
- Proper social distance must be maintained throughout a volunteer’s shift whenever possible.
- Dress Code will be strictly enforced for all volunteers – no exceptions
- Denim jeans that cover ankles
- Volunteer shirt (can be purchased during training)
- Closed sneakers
- No hanging or facial jewelry
Corporate Group Volunteering
We are excited to offer volunteer opportunities for corporate groups at our shelter! Learn more about how you and your organization can help the dogs and cats at our shelter below.
Group and corporate volunteer events are a maximum of three (3) hours and may include the following activities:
- Socialization with cats
- Doggie washes
- Creating DIY toys for the shelter pets
- Cat clicker training
- Assisting the Foster Department
- Assisting the Laundry Department
Please note: Dog walking opportunities are not available for group volunteer days as we require all volunteers to attend a dog handling training first. While we do not currently offer this training for corporate group days, we encourage those interested in walking our shelter pets to join our regular volunteer program. Please read above volunteer program information to learn how you can get involved!
Volunteer Group Requirements and Important Information
- Volunteers must be 16 years and older.
- A $500 Donation is requested per group.
- Accommodations can be made for a group size of up to 10 people.
- If you have more than 10 people in your group, we can host two separate groups.
- Group volunteers days are held on select Thursdays and Fridays from 11:30am – 2:30pm. Events begin with a 30-minute shelter tour, where we will also go over volunteering rules and opportunities.
- Volunteers will not be able to interact with the dogs directly (other than for doggie washes) as they would need to attend additional training sessions to be able to do so.
- Each volunteer will need to sign a waiver and submit before their scheduled date.
- Each member volunteering must have his/her own medical insurance.
- Requested donations are waived for groups that belong to an educational institution such as high schools, colleges, and universities.
- Attire: Volunteers must wear long JEANS covering ankles (no ripped jeans, no leggings, no capris, no shorts) and athletic shoes (sneakers). We also request that your group wear a company t-shirt to identify themselves. Please do not wear long jewelry (earrings, necklaces). We have lockers for your belongings; however, we do not supply locks.
16 years old.
Yes, we offer basic training and dog handling training to move up to higher levels.
Tuesday – Sunday from 8am – 4pm until further notice. However, you must sign up for shifts and attend the time allotted for that shift.
You will be able to sign up to available shifts on your volunteer portal 24 hours after you have completed your shelter training.
Yes, dress code will be reviewed in detail during orientation and shelter training. All volunteers will need to purchase a Humane Society of Greater Miami volunteer t-shirt that will be available for sale for $15 at the end of the shelter training. All volunteers must wear a volunteer t-shirt, jeans without rips that cover your ankles and sneakers.
You can contact the Volunteer Supervisor at 305-749-1843 or via email at [email protected].
Yes, the volunteer program is currently open and accepting new volunteers. Please view our events calendar or email the Volunteer Supervisor at [email protected] to sign up to an upcoming orientation session.