Teaching children respect & kindness
for all living creatures.
The Humane Society of Greater Miami believes that the building of a more kind, just and loving community for the pets and people of Miami-Dade County begins with instilling the values of kindness and compassion. At public and private schools, scouting troops, special needs groups, local libraries, various community youth organizations as well as adult organizations, the Humane Society of Greater Miami teaches the young and old appropriate lessons about kindness to animals, empathy, responsible pet care and the causes and results of pet overpopulation. If you would like to request a humane education speaker to visit your child’s classroom or scout troop, please follow the instructions at the bottom of this page.
Lisa Depriest, our Humane Educator, has shared knowledge & enriched lives of thousand of children and students over the years.
“As the school year comes to an end, I like to look back and reflect on what stood out the most during my visits. One school in particular really surprised me because there was not one student or adult that knew, or had even heard of, what a microchip is. It was a real eye opener about the serious importance of our educational program in the community and it was an absolute joy to educate them on the importance of having an ID for their pet.” said Lisa. “We, who are working in the pet-related business, sometimes take our knowledge for granted and when you realize that there are so many members of our community that really do not share that knowledge, it feels so satisfying and rewarding to educate them. Everyone I met on my educational visits really had a sincere interest in the well being of their pets, but had never been introduced to most of the things we teach them (microchips, heartworm prevention, spay & neuter, to name just a few). Many people also aren’t aware that there are low cost clinics available, as the one at our North and South location and I am glad to pass that information along. Last year – 2013 – was a very successful year! We have educated 1,508 adults and 11,777 children for a total of 13,285 people and it is only June!”
To Schedule a Humane Education Program
To schedule a visit from the Humane Society of Greater Miami’s Education Department, please call 305-749-1820 between 9am and 5pm weekdays or email [email protected].
- If you leave a message, please include the date you would like to schedule a program for and a convenient time for us to return your call.
- You may fax your request to Humane Education Department at 305-696-4434. Be sure to include the date, time, location, age and size of audience and a contact person and phone number.
- Due to the number of program requests we receive, please try to schedule programs at least one month in advance.
- Programs are available Monday through Friday. Unless otherwise noted, programs usually last thirty to fifty minutes.
- Our programs are designed to be presented to one class-sized group at a time or to an assembly sized group in order to accommodate all interested teachers and students.
- You can also schedule a presentation and tour of our shelter, however, the group size is limited to 30 students or less.
Annual H.O.P.E. Contest
Many studies have shown that while we are taking care of our pets, our pets are taking care of us. Pets provide companionship and many health and safety benefits. The Humane Society of Greater Miami and Miami-Dade Animal Services want to make sure all pets get the love and care they deserve. The H.O.P.E. contest includes participants from grades 3-8.