As a private, not-for-profit, charitable animal welfare organization, we rely on the community to help us fulfill our mission of finding a loving home for all the dogs and cats in our care and promoting responsible pet ownership and spay/neuter programs. From in-shelter tasks to event and outreach support, volunteers are needed in every part of the work we do. Our volunteers help make the world a more humane place for animals.
Already a Volunteer?
Important Volunteer Rules:
- ALL volunteers (current or new) will have to attend an online orientation AND an in-person socially-distanced shelter training before signing up to their first volunteer shift.
- All volunteer shifts must be scheduled in advance using the Volunteer Portal – no walk-ins permitted.
- Masks MUST be properly worn by all volunteers the entire time they are on the premises regardless of whether or not they have had a COVID-19 vaccination.
- Proper social distance must be maintained throughout a volunteer’s shift whenever possible.
- Dress Code will be strictly enforced for all volunteers – no exceptions
- Denim jeans that cover ankles
- Volunteer shirt (can be purchased during training)
- Closed sneakers
- No hanging or facial jewelry
Volunteer Opportunities Within and Outside the Shelter
If this is your first time visiting, welcome and thank you for your interest in becoming a volunteer! You are one step closer to joining our team of heroes and helping countless tails wag and many kitties purr.
In order to become a volunteer, each person must attend an Orientation Presentation and a Shelter Training. During these trainings you will learn more about our Volunteer Program and Policies. Once you have completed both, you will be able to sign up to the shift of your choice detailed in the tabs below.
How to Become a Volunteer
Ready to join? Follow the steps below to begin your life-changing journey towards becoming a Humane Society of Greater Miami Volunteer.
Step 1: Attend a Volunteer Orientation.
Orientations take place on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of every month online via Zoom and last approximately 1 hour. Sign up for our next session by clicking here!
Please keep in mind:
- You must be at least 16 years of age to volunteer.
- Prospective volunteers ages 16-17 years old must come accompanied by one parent/guardian (for orientation session only).
- We provide community service hours for educational institutions only. We do not provide community service hours for court-mandated reasons.
Step 2: Look for your Application Link that will be sent via email to the email address you provided when you signed up for your orientation session. Once you receive the link, please fill out the application fully. Please allow up to a week for the Volunteer Supervisor to review your submission.
Step 3: Schedule your Shelter Training session. A schedule of possible training days and times will be available online via our Volunteer Portal. Prospective volunteers will be sent instructions on how to sign up once their applications have been approved.
Once you have completed the necessary training and schedule your upcoming shifts, you are ready to begin saving lives as an official Humane Society of Greater Miami Volunteer!
For questions about the program and requirements, please call 305-749-1843 or email [email protected]
16 years old.
Yes, we offer basic training and dog handling training to move up to higher levels.
Tuesday – Sunday from 8am – 4pm until further notice. However, you must sign up for shifts and attend the time allotted for that shift.
You will be able to sign up to available shifts on your volunteer portal 24 hours after you have completed your shelter training.
Yes, dress code will be reviewed in detail during orientation and shelter training. All volunteers will need to purchase a Humane Society of Greater Miami volunteer t-shirt that will be available for sale for $10 at the end of the shelter training. All volunteers must wear a volunteer t-shirt, jeans without rips that cover your ankles and sneakers.
You can reach out the Volunteer Supervisor at 305-749-1843 or via email at [email protected].
Yes, the volunteer program is currently open and accepting new volunteers. Please view our events calendar or email the Volunteer Supervisor at [email protected] to sign up to an upcoming orientation session.