Adoption appointments are suggested, but walk-ins are accepted on a space-available basis. If interested in adopting, please fill out an adoption application and one of our Matchmakers will contact you with approval and next steps!
Tuesday through Sunday: 12:00pm until 6:30pm
- Please check each animal’s profile for available appointment date. If no date is listed, the animal is available for appointments immediately.
- An adoption counselor will contact you to discuss your application and the animal you are interested in adopting.
- If approved, you will then make an appointment to come to the shelter.
- We will contact you to let you know the next steps.
Now let’s get started! Click for forever:
If you do not hear from a representative from the Humane Society of Greater Miami within 72 hours (after submitting your application) please email [email protected]. Please note, only applications received through the direct link on our website are reviewed by us. Applications through PetTango or PetFinder are not valid.
If you have previously submitted an application for a pet that has already been adopted and are interested in a new pet, please email [email protected].
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
At the time of adoption you will be asked to provide:
- Picture ID.
- If you are a renter or own and are part of a Homeowner’s Association, a copy of your lease/rent agreement and/or pet policy, including the name and address of the landlord, or written consent from your landlord if the pet policy is not included in the lease.
- A collar and leash to take home your pet (if you are adopting a dog). Collars and leashes are available for purchase at our boutique;or you may bring your own collar and leash with you.
- Arrive at your scheduled appointment time to complete your adoption.
DOG ADOPTION FEES*
*Fees subject to change without notice. Please call to confirm current fees.
Purebreds / High Demand Canines – $459 adoption fee
All dogs under 2 years old – $259 adoption fee
All dogs over 2 years old – $149 adoption fee
Please note: The purchase of at least one dose of prevention medication is required with all dog adoptions.
Ask our adoption counselors about Heartworm prevention!
Heartworm disease can be prevented in dogs by giving them medication once a month, which also controls various internal and external parasites. Heartworm infections are diagnosed in about 250,000 dogs each year. All of our shelter pets are heartworm tested and receive preventative medication. We strongly recommend purchasing heartworm prevention at the time of adoption to ensure your pet remains healthy. We offer packages of 6-month and 12-month doses, as well as single doses of heartworm prevention at competitive prices.
We know that bringing home a new pet may be stressful for you and your new furry friend. Here at the Humane Society of Greater Miami, we want to help make this experience as rewarding as possible. Please consider downloading this free book, “Adopting A Rescue Dog: The First Seven Days“to learn how to make the transition from shelter to home as easy and pleasant as possible. Or, if you are still just thinking about adopting a dog, this book also contains great tips on how to prepare your home and how to select the right dog to match your lifestyle.