The Humane Society of Greater Miami cares for hundreds of homeless dogs, cats, puppies and kittens each day. We depend on our team of staff and volunteers to help us help the animals! By joining the Humane Society of Greater Miami, you become part of a wonderful cause and of a great team. Only qualified applicants will be considered based on the position requirements. Please review below our current employment opportunities:
PET SUPERMARKET FELINE TRANSPORTATION AND ADOPTION
VETERINARY APPOINTMENT SCHEDULER / FRONT DESK RECEPTIONIST
SHELTER VETERINARY TECHNICIAN
CLINIC VETERINARY TECHNICIAN
HIGH VOLUME SPAY NEUTER VETERINARIAN
The Humane Society of Greater Miami is looking for an Adoptions Counselor responsible for delivering outstanding pet adoptions to the organization and as such is responsible for interviewing prospective parents, introducing them to the pet, and completing all adequate paperwork. Other responsibilities include providing outstanding customer service, office operations, scheduling appointments, ordering merchandise, general clerical and operating the cash register as necessary. The Adoption Counselor works directly with clients, guests, staff, and volunteers, providing courteous, friendly and professional assistance. Manages the first point of contact between a customer and the Humane Society of Greater Miami and thus, is responsible for ensuring that this first encounter is positive for the customer.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills required.
- Strong customer relations skills and leadership capability.
- Ability to prioritize, organize, problem solve, and coordinate daily activities.
- Ability to interpret statistical reports and financial information.
- Possesses interpersonal skills, ability to interface with customers and their families.
- Computer literate and skilled in Word and Excel required.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High School or equivalent education.
- Experience in planning, judgment, implementation, communication, staff development, interpersonal skills and cost containment.
Some experience needed but will train, needs to be self motivated and compassionate towards animals. Pay depending on experience. Hours vary as shelter is open 7 days a week, 365 days a year including holidays. Hours can vary from 7:00am to 7:00pm. Looking for Part-time and Full-time. EOE + benefits package. If interested in the position please stop by the shelter to fill out an application at 16101 West Dixie Highway, North Miami Beach, FL 33160 attention to “HR”. You may send your resume to [email protected].
The Humane Society of Greater Miami is looking for someone to work hands on with cats/dogs cleaning cages/kennels where animals reside.
- Cleans and maintains cages, kennels, lifestyle rooms, quarantine area or isolation unit of the shelter, in such a manner as to provide a germ-free, odorless and low stress environment for the animals. Washes food and water bowls daily.
- Feeds and provides daily care for all animals in the shelter’s care. Cleans and grooms animals (bathing and brushing).
- Ensures that animals are walked, and that they receive clean bedding and toys on a daily basis.
- Handles and controls animals admitted to the shelter by the Humane Society of Greater Miami. This may include, from time to time, difficult to handle animals.
- Reports to the Shelter Veterinary Technician or Director of Animal Care and Shelter Operations any potential health or behavioral problems involving the animals in the organization’s care.
- Knows all the animals by name and treats each one of them with love and respect.
- Administering antibiotics or other oral medications per shelter technician’s instructions.
No experience needed, will train, but needs to be self motivated and compassionate towards animals. Hours vary as shelter is open 7 days a week, 365 days a year, including holidays. Hours can vary from 7:00am to 7:00pm. Looking for Part-time and Full-time. If interested in the position please stop by the shelter to fill out an application at 16101 West Dixie Highway, North Miami Beach, FL 33160 attention to “HR”. EOE + benefits package.
Description: Transport adoptable felines to designated off-site adoption stores. Oversee the care, cleaning and preventive health care for all felines.
DUTIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Selects felines for placement of adoption in stores.
- Transports felines to and from stores.
- Cleans cages between feline residents, when a new one arrives.
- Oversees that all immediate healthcare, such as vaccines, flea prevention and/or medications is up-to-date before admission into stores and while in stores.
- Maintains accurate paperwork, cage cards, medical records and appropriate logs of all felines at store locations.
- Makes sure all felines are properly identified on the adoption websites as to store location.
- Checks felines frequently for health and behavior concerns.
- Process adoption paperwork, outcomes in database and other adoption programs.
- Ability to properly handle felines in an appropriate manner.
- Ability to lift a maximum of 50 pounds.
- Input completed adoptions in Doctor Connect and run weekly reports.
- 1-2 years of comparable experience is a must.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Approved driver.
- Ability to prioritize, organize and coordinate daily activities.
- Computer literate and skilled in Excel, Word, Outlook, and Internet required.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
- Schedule flexibility.
- Strong customer relations skills and leadership capability.
SPECIAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Person performing this job must not be allergic to animals or commonly used supplies, chemicals and medications.
- Exposure to animals with an unknown health history is a possibility.
The Humane Society of Greater Miami is looking for a high-volume spay/neuter appointment scheduler for our preventive care clinic in North Miami Beach. This is a full-time position. Main responsibilities include: answering phone calls quickly and efficiently, booking surgical appointments, input of appropriate patient/client information using DVM software, performing general clean up duties as needed and handling financial transactions. The candidate must have excellent customer service skills and must be fluent in English and Spanish, written and spoken.
DUTIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Answering phone calls quickly and efficiently
- Booking surgical appointments
- Input of appropriate patient/ client information using DVM software
- Perform general clean up duties at end of day and during day as needed
- Handling payments and refunds
- Sit and stand for long periods while performing work duties
- Able to lift 50 pounds.
- Excellent customer service skills
- Must be fluent in English and Spanish, written and spoken
- Must have reliable transportation
- High school diploma or equivalent
Competitive pay, health insurance and discounts on clinic services and products. Please send your resume to [email protected].
The Humane Society of Greater Miami is looking for an experienced veterinary technician to join our team. The person for whom would best fill this position must be a reliable individual, a team player, be an independent thinker with excellent communication skills, have a high level of customer relation skills, and also must be able to multi-task in a very high volume, stressful situation if need be.
Responsibilities include performing a basic physical exam, blood draws, administering fluids, urinalysis, fecal exams, skin scrapes, and collecting and handling samples for in-house diagnostics and for submitting to referral laboratories.
Qualification requirements are: preferably certified veterinary technician and/or at least two years of experience working in a shelter, veterinary clinic, or similar environment as a veterinary technician; ability to perform drug calculations and data entry; experience of caring for, and handling animals in a safe, effective, and humane manner, handling cats as well as large and possibly untrained dogs. Proficiency in Microsoft Windows (Word and Excel) and the ability to learn new computer programs preferred.
Pay depending on experience. If interested in the position please stop by the shelter to fill out an application at 16101 West Dixie Highway, North Miami Beach, FL 33160 attention to “HR” or you may send your resume to [email protected].
Under the supervision of the Chief Medical Officer, staff veterinarians, and supervisor, is responsible for outstanding customer service, client education, compassionate animal care, promote spay/neuter and preventive care for public pets. Performs duties, independently with minimal supervision, operating from specific and definite directions and instructions. Decisions are of routine nature made within prescribed operating guidelines, policies and procedures.
Must be proficient at:
o Performing a basic physical exam including taking body temperature, heart and respiration rate
o Performing proper and humane restraint on a dog or cat
o Administering drugs IM, SQ, and IV
o Properly prepare and administer FELV, FVRCP, DA2PP, and Bordetella vaccine
o Taking blood draws
Feline: femoral, cephalic and jugular veins
Canine: cephalic, jugular and saphenous veins
o Properly collecting blood and performing a SNAP 4DX, Heartworm, Parvo and Feline Combo test
o Properly calculating and administering sub-cutaneous fluids
o Properly collecting fecal material for flotation and direct smears, creating appropriate slides and accurately reading and interpreting slides
o Properly perform a skin scraping and interpret results
o Properly performing an ear cleaning (both simple and deep)
o Properly trimming nails
o Properly scan for a microchip and aseptically insert a microchip if needed
o Correctly calculate required medications to go home with patient, prepare medication and properly print prescription label
• Properly explain importance and timely necessities of vaccinations recommended for the pet
• Provides education to pet owners on infectious disease and preventative care available
• Must have excellent communication skills in person and on the phone
• Provide excellent customer service and be friendly at all times.
• Properly identifies patients that are intact and explains benefits of spay/neuter to their owners
• Properly checks in and out surgical patients and explains post-op instructions to owners
• Properly enters medical notes in Clinic software in a timely fashion.
• Ensures and maintains appropriate inventory of all necessary supplies, drugs and equipment in the clinic exam room.
• Stocks supplies as needed.
• Follows the policies and protocols as set forth in the Humane Society of Greater Miami’s Policy Manual and the Medical Protocol Manual. If a discrepancy is noticed or it is felt that an update in needed, is expected to bring it to the attention of supervisor or the Chief Medical Officer.
• Work cooperatively and professionally with all staff members
• Assists the general public with routine health care information. Is able to explain when necessary treatment/procedures to owners or potential adopters.
• Represents the Humane Society of Greater Miami to the highest degree by providing good customer service.
• Immediately reports any safety hazards or unsafe usage of Humane Society of Greater Miami equipment and supplies to supervisor.
• Fills in other areas and performs other tasks/functions as needed (i.e. helping out at the front desk with phone calls, working at special events).
• Treats all animals humanely, properly, and with compassion at all times, regardless of the situation or circumstance.
• At least one (1) year of experience working in a shelter, veterinary clinic or similar environment.
• Must be able to perform drug calculations and data entry.
• Experience in caring for and handling animals in a safe, effective and humane manner, cats as well as large and possibly untrained dogs.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Windows (Word and Excel) and the ability to learn new computer programs preferred.
• Must be an independent, multi-tasker with excellent communication skills, have exceptional interpersonal skills, be able to interface with customers and their families in a tactful, sympathetic, and objective manner.
• Valid driver’s license and clean driving record preferred.
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Must be able to hold and restrain animals.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit; to speak and hear clearly; and to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and to reach with hands and arms.
• The employee must regularly lift, move, and restrain animals weighing up to 40 pounds and must occasionally lift, move and restrain animals weighing up to 100 pounds (with assistance).
• The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
• Persons performing this job must not be allergic to animals, cleaning agents, or medications.
• Other possible job hazards include exposure to corrosive chemicals and cleaning agents, exposure to feral and vicious animals, to animals with an unknown health history and therefore, exposure to zoonotic diseases through the use of hypodermic needles, animal bites and scratches, airborne transmission, and physical contact.
Please send resume to [email protected].
The Humane Society of Greater Miami is hiring a full time High Volume Spay Neuter Veterinarian for the Miami-Dade County Community Spay Neuter Clinic in Cutler Bay, Florida. Must be able to perform 30-35 surgeries a day. Other responsibilities include client education. Excellent surgical skills necessary. Minimum one weekend day required. Must have strong leadership skills and the ability to manage and communicate with staff and volunteers. This is an exciting, fast-paced and challenging position. Competitive salary and excellent benefit package included. Florida license required. Please send resume to [email protected].
Humane Society of Greater Miami is an AA/EO employer and actively seeks candidates from diverse backgrounds.