The Humane Society of Greater Miami cares for hundreds of homeless dogs, cats, puppies and kittens each day. We depend on our team of staff and volunteers to help us help the animals! By joining the Humane Society of Greater Miami, you become part of a wonderful cause and of a great team. Only qualified applicants will be considered based on the position requirements. Please review below our current employment opportunities:
Under the supervision of the Chief Medical Officer, staff veterinarians, and supervisor, is responsible for outstanding customer service, client education, compassionate animal care, promote spay/neuter and preventive care for public pets. Performs duties, independently with minimal supervision, operating from specific and definite directions and instructions. Decisions are of routine nature made within prescribed operating guidelines, policies and procedures.
Must be proficient at:
o Performing a basic physical exam including taking body temperature, heart and respiration rate
o Performing proper and humane restraint on a dog or cat
o Administering drugs IM, SQ, and IV
o Properly prepare and administer FELV, FVRCP, DA2PP, and Bordetella vaccine
o Taking blood draws
Feline: femoral, cephalic and jugular veins
Canine: cephalic, jugular and saphenous veins
o Properly collecting blood and performing a SNAP 4DX, Heartworm, Parvo and Feline Combo test
o Properly calculating and administering sub-cutaneous fluids
o Properly collecting fecal material for flotation and direct smears, creating appropriate slides and accurately reading and interpreting slides
o Properly perform a skin scraping and interpret results
o Properly performing an ear cleaning (both simple and deep)
o Properly trimming nails
o Properly scan for a microchip and aseptically insert a microchip if needed
o Correctly calculate required medications to go home with patient, prepare medication and properly print prescription label
• Properly explain importance and timely necessities of vaccinations recommended for the pet
• Provides education to pet owners on infectious disease and preventative care available
• Must have excellent communication skills in person and on the phone
• Provide excellent customer service and be friendly at all times.
• Properly identifies patients that are intact and explains benefits of spay/neuter to their owners
• Properly checks in and out surgical patients and explains post-op instructions to owners
• Properly enters medical notes in Clinic software in a timely fashion.
• Ensures and maintains appropriate inventory of all necessary supplies, drugs and equipment in the clinic exam room.
• Stocks supplies as needed.
• Follows the policies and protocols as set forth in the Humane Society of Greater Miami’s Policy Manual and the Medical Protocol Manual. If a discrepancy is noticed or it is felt that an update in needed, is expected to bring it to the attention of supervisor or the Chief Medical Officer.
• Work cooperatively and professionally with all staff members
• Assists the general public with routine health care information. Is able to explain when necessary treatment/procedures to owners or potential adopters.
• Represents the Humane Society of Greater Miami to the highest degree by providing good customer service.
• Immediately reports any safety hazards or unsafe usage of Humane Society of Greater Miami equipment and supplies to supervisor.
• Fills in other areas and performs other tasks/functions as needed (i.e. helping out at the front desk with phone calls, working at special events).
• Treats all animals humanely, properly, and with compassion at all times, regardless of the situation or circumstance.
• At least one (1) year of experience working in a shelter, veterinary clinic or similar environment.
• Must be able to perform drug calculations and data entry.
• Experience in caring for and handling animals in a safe, effective and humane manner, cats as well as large and possibly untrained dogs.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Windows (Word and Excel) and the ability to learn new computer programs preferred.
• Must be an independent, multi-tasker with excellent communication skills, have exceptional interpersonal skills, be able to interface with customers and their families in a tactful, sympathetic, and objective manner.
• Valid driver’s license and clean driving record preferred.
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Must be able to hold and restrain animals.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit; to speak and hear clearly; and to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and to reach with hands and arms.
• The employee must regularly lift, move, and restrain animals weighing up to 40 pounds and must occasionally lift, move and restrain animals weighing up to 100 pounds (with assistance).
• The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
• Persons performing this job must not be allergic to animals, cleaning agents, or medications.
• Other possible job hazards include exposure to corrosive chemicals and cleaning agents, exposure to feral and vicious animals, to animals with an unknown health history and therefore, exposure to zoonotic diseases through the use of hypodermic needles, animal bites and scratches, airborne transmission, and physical contact.
Please send resume to [email protected].
The Humane Society of Greater Miami is seeking a Graphic Designer and Marketing Coordinator to join our organization. Ideal candidate is a creative individual who displays strong graphic design and communication skills, and thrives in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
Primary functions include providing concepts, and producing print and online content; updating existing marketing collateral to support our programs; development of new collateral (online and print) based on arising needs and projects.
Working under the guidance of the marketing director and upper management, the candidate will be required to consistently create diverse range of marketing materials including, but not limited to; advertisements, brochures, branding, postcards, web graphics, etc.
The Graphic Designer / Marketing Coordinator will take on immediate responsibilities that include, but are not limited to the following:
• Creates exciting and innovative design concepts for print and multimedia communications, including writing enticing ad copy
• Ensures consistency in design and enforces defined brand standards
• Maintains corporate branding on all printed materials, internally and externally
• Follows through on all projects from start to finish
• Collaborates with marketing management to produce new ideas
• Regularly updates and creates new website content
• Maintains archive of art, graphic elements, web elements and company video/photographs
• Ensures the shelter and clinics have all current promotions displayed in a professional and branded materials
• Creates weekly and monthly promotions to spotlight different shelter animals in the effort to find them a home
• Creates and updates social media content; works closely with shelter and volunteer team to ensure coverage of all current topics and news
• Takes initiative on creating, presenting and executing different marketing projects
• A Degree in Marketing, Graphic Design or equivalent marketing and design experience
• Proficient in all industry leading software, including Adobe Creative Cloud applications (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop)
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Proficient with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
• Strong organization, time management and decision-making skills
• Excellent work ethic
• Understanding of print production workflow
• Ability to handle multiple projects in a fast-paced work environment with exceptional attention to detail, while balancing varying projects and aggressive deadlines
• Able to work independently and with a team
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and several examples of design work in order to apply.
By mail to Humane Society of Greater Miami, attn: Dani Kandera, Director, Marketing and Special Events, 16101 West Dixie Highway, North Miami Beach, FL 33160. By email to [email protected].
The Humane Society of Greater Miami is hiring a full time High Volume Spay Neuter Veterinarian for the Miami-Dade County Community Spay Neuter Clinic in Cutler Bay, Florida. Must be able to perform 30-35 surgeries a day. Other responsibilities include client education. Excellent surgical skills necessary. Minimum one weekend day required. Must have strong leadership skills and the ability to manage and communicate with staff and volunteers. This is an exciting, fast-paced and challenging position. Competitive salary and excellent benefit package included. Florida license required. Please send resume to [email protected].
Humane Society of Greater Miami is an AA/EO employer and actively seeks candidates from diverse backgrounds.